Top Tips for Looking After Your Dry Skin
Written by Angela, 28th December 2020
Quite often there is confusion between a dry skin and a dehydrated skin.
How do I know if my skin is dry or dehydrated?
There are differences between a skin type and a skin condition
Dry skin is a skin type which you inherit, have probably had all your life and most likely at least one of your parents has dry skin too. A dry skin is dependant on internal or intrinsic factors such as genetics.
Dehydrated skin is a skin condition and can occur in any skin type at any time and is usually dependant on external or extrinsic conditions such as changes in temperature or skin care products.
A dry skin has a deficiency of oil or lipids and dehydrated skin has a lack of water or moisture in the top layer or stratum corneum of the skin.
There is a slight overlap, as a dry skin that is deficient in lipids and, if not well looked after, finds it harder to trap moisture in the skin which will lead to dehydration.
If you are at all unsure about whether your skin is dry or dehydrated you can visit us for an in-depth skin analysis with one of our Dermalogica Skin Experts in Duddon between Tarporley and Tarvin, or Whitby between Ellesmere Port and Cheshire Oaks.
What does a dry skin look like?
A dry skin is usually:
- Rough to the touch. Lightly stroke a finger over the surface of your skin. Is it smooth and silky or does it feel textured?
- Looks dry. Look closely at your skin; a dry skin usually has more visible lines especially if it is dehydrated too.
- Appears flaky. Again, look closely – is the top layer of dead skin cells smooth or can you see areas of flakiness?
- Few or no pores. Can you see pores on your skin? Dry skin usually has no or very few visible pores.
Which salon treatments should I choose to improve my dry skin?
At Sensoria you can select a 10 minute, 30 minute of 60 minute skin treatment and, following a skin analysis and consultation, we select the elements of the facial treatment especially for you – taking into account your preferences of course.
Our skin treatments start with a preliminary cleanse before assessing your skin, followed by a deeper cleanse to thoroughly remove all make up and debris. An exfoliation element is included to remove the top layer of rough, flaky dead skin cells to ensure that the skin is at its most receptive to the following ingredients and techniques.
We have a host of Dermalogica treatment skin care products as well as electrical-based modalities to replenish and restore lipid layers in the skin, as well as good old-fashioned massage to stimulate the oil-producing glands.
If there is a lot of flaky skin we may prescribe a peel or microdermabrasion to re-surface your skin. Indirect high frequency with a rich, oil-based massage medium can help to stimulate oil production as well as adding much needed oils to keep the surface smooth and well-lubricated. Vacuum suction with a rich facial oil could be a choice to improve lymphatic circulation or galvanic to enable ingredients to penetrate deeper into your skin.
Is a masque important for dry skin?
Just with any other skin type, masques give the opportunity to really target any skin concerns. We will generally always use at least one masque in an in-salon facial treatment of 30 minutes or more and would highly recommend that you use masque at home too. We love Dermalogicas Multivitamin Power Recover Masque. Its rich emollient based combined with a vitamin rich formula is superb for dry skins.
What can I do about treating the dry skin my body?
If you have dry skin on your face, then you will most likely have dry skin on your body too. Your skin is the largest organ of your body and deserves to be looked after as well as the skin on your face.
Our top salon body treatments at Sensoria for dry skin are:
- body massage using either oil or a cream-based formula
- body exfoliation followed by hydrating body cream.
The best way of treating dry skin on my feet
We often neglect our feet and if the skin on our face & body is dry then most likely there are dry skin issues on your feet too.
One of the most transformational footcare systems we have found is Footlogix® The Dermal Infusion Technology® allows hydrating and bioactive ingredients to penetrate immediately and deeply into the skin giving fast results. The Revolutionary Mousse formulas deliver premium ingredients into the skin within seconds and leave no greasy layer. The Very Dry Skin mousse is a must and as dry skin can sometimes also create cracked heels, the Cracked Heel mousse is also fabulous – doing exactly what it says on the tin!
What should I do at home for a dry skin
At Sensoria we believe in the following skin survival formula for all skin types:
- Prescribe – we use our Expert knowledge to find out exactly what your skin needs
- Treat – whether its a quick pick-me-up or an in-depth facial we have the perfect salon treatment to deliver effective results for your dry skin care concern.
- Maintain – regularly use a daily skin care routine prescribed by us to keep the salon good work going at home. We do hope that you will choose to take your skin care products home with you from our salon. This helps to support our business, enabling us to continue in-salon treatments in the future.
Your daily dry skincare routine
Everyones skin is slightly different and we may recommend something different for your individual skin. The following is a suggested routine suitable for most dry skin types:
Morning routine for dry skin
Start the morning with Intensive Moisture Cleanser removed with a clean, damp washcloth or use in the shower. Its rich and creamy formula thoroughly cleans your skin without drying it.
Spritz your face and neck with Multiactive Toner and lock in with a few drops of Phytonature Oil. Finish with Intensive Moisture Balance to keep skin soft and supple then protect it from light and UV light with Invisible Physical Defense.
Evening routine for dry skin
Remove any makeup, as well as dirt and pollution from the day with Precleanse balm. Apply to your skin and massage in a few drops of water to create a soft and creamy emulsion. Remove with a clean, damp wash cloth and follow with your Intensive Moisture Cleanser.
Spritz with Multiactive Toner and apply a specific serum for your skin concern or a few more drops of Phytonature oil.
Finish with a generous layer of intensive Moisture Balance or Super Rich Repair.
Once a week skin treat for dry skin
After double cleansing, use a capsule of Rapid Reveal Peel. Leave for 7 minutes and remove thoroughly.
Apply a layer of Multivitamin Power Recovery masque whilst relaxing for fifteen minutes. Remove and spritz with Multiactive Toner and apply Intensive Moisture Balance or Super Rich Repair.
More top tips for dry skin
These simple tips will help to keep your dry skin supple and comfortable:
- Try not to have very hot baths as this will further deplete the oils in your skin. Instead opt for a short, warm shower.
- Only use soap or body wash where it is needed and avoid bubble baths. The detergents in washes and bubble baths can strip what little oil you have in your skin.
- Choose oil-based skin care products. This doesnt mean only choose products made from oil, but select creamy and oily-rich skin care formulations instead of water-based ones.
For more help or information on any of our services, our facials and award-winning body treatments contact us here.
Also, remember you can easily book your beauty, health & skin care treatments online – just click here.
Originally published December 28, 2020 17:34pm, updated March 14, 2021