6 ways your workout affects your skin (& top exercise skin care tips)
Exercise is a vital part of living a healthy lifestyle. Regular physical activity is great for your body – it keeps our joints moving, our muscles strong and helps us maintain a healthy weight. Workouts are also proven to be great for our minds too – releasing happy hormones, ‘endorphins’. However, have you ever thought about how exercise can affect your skin?
We have, of course. At Sensoria, we are skin care experts – and we want to help you understand how well-cared-for skin can be part of living a happier and healthier life.
National Fitness Day & skin care
So, to celebrate the upcoming National Fitness Day in September we thought we’d share our tips on all things exercise – in particular how a workout can affect your skin.
And, what you can do to improve your workout skin care regime.
How does a workout affect your skin?
1. You increase your blood flow… and glow
When you exercise, you improve your circulation – and that red face you get is from increased blood flow to the dermis.
From this, your skin benefits from not only increased oxygen – but it also brings vital nutrients and hormones too.
The result? A post-workout youthful glow.
2. You can irritate your sensitive skin
Unfortunately, increased circulation isn’t always a positive thing. If you suffer from sensitive skin or conditions like rosacea the increased warmth in the skin and build-up of sweat can irritate your skin further.
However – don’t worry! You can help yourself by selecting soothing products that calm your skin. Dermalogica’s Ultracalming line is our favourite – because not only does it minimise irritation but it helps build your skin’s protective barrier for long-term healthier skin.
You should also avoid oil-based products – especially when exercising – as these trap heat in the skin.
And, there are professional treatments that can also help you – such as iontophoresis in facials which is gentle but effective – using less massage.
3. You can reduce your stress levels & improve blemishes
When you’re stressed, your brain releases neuropeptides and your cortisol levels (stress hormone) rise.
Therefore, a workout can be wonderful stress relief as it can reduce your cortisol levels. Then, this minimises the level of oil that your skin produces – meaning there’s less chance of breakouts.
4. But – take care! You can also increase stress & irritate your skin
Having said this, exercise does affect us all in different ways. For example, high-intensity workouts could, in fact, raise your cortisol levels, rather than lower it.
If that’s the case, we really recommend slowing your exercise down and thinking of it as something for your mind and skin care too – not just for your body.
Introducing yoga is wonderful for managing stress. You can also combine wellbeing treatments like massage.
If blemishes cause you concern after exercise, we can help.
5. You can accelerate your skin’s ageing
Of course, exercise is great for you – but be careful not to ‘overdo it’ if you want to take care of your skin.
Moderate and regular exercise can undeniably make us look and feel younger. Yet, when you exercise too much, or too hard, you risk shortening the telomeres in your DNA.
So if you’re pounding the pavement excessively – and workouts are leaving you feeling nauseated rather than happy – you could be doing too much, and the effects may be visible in your skin.
If premature ageing is a concern of yours, we’d recommend slowing exercise down. If you enjoy it then of course, not all the time – but adding some variety can really help.
6. Outdoor exercising? You risk sun damage
How great does it feel to get outside and do something active? Not only are you taking great care of your body but being in the great outdoors is proven to be wonderful for your mental health and wellbeing.
However, remember your skin!
Even when it’s overcast the sun’s UV rays can still damage your skin. This leads to premature ageing – and even in some cases, skin cancer – which is worryingly more common than many of us think.
To enjoy exercising outside safely you should wear sunscreen – and top it up regularly.
There are lots of options out there – and it can be confusing to know what’s best for your skin type. So, we’ve written a guide to sunscreen to help you pick an SPF that’s right for you.
For sport enthusiasts, we always recommend Dermalogica’s Protection 50 Sport SPF50.
Its lightweight formula blends into your skin without leaving an uncomfortable film – and it’s water-resistant (up to 40 minutes).
Top skin care tips for your workout
Make your exercise regime work not only hard for your body and mind, but for your skin too.
Before your workout
- Cleanse your skin – starting your workout with clean skin will minimise breakouts and congestion. We recommend Dermalogica’s UltraCalming Cleanser – which helps cool and calm reactive skin – and can be removed without water
- Spritz your skin with Dermalogica’s UlltraCalming Mist – this will shield you from the harsh environment of a workout
- If you’re exercising outdoors, apply two teaspoons of sunscreen on your face and neck area
Skin protection during exercise
- Steer clear of heavy makeup – like foundation – as these will clog your pores. If you want some coverage, we recommend Brush On Block Touch of Tan – it’s SPF30 and sweat & water resistant too
- Keep hair off your face & minimise hair products as they can cause breakouts
After your workout
- Cool down – take a cool shower, drink some water and rest for a few minutes – this will help reduce skin temperature
- Be sure to Double Cleanse to thoroughly remove sweat and any other debris (think about when you put your face on the exercise map) – we recommend Dermalogica’s PreCleanse and Cleanser products
- If you’re prone to redness, spritz with Dermalogica’s Antioxidant Hydramist – which hydrates to reduce fine lines associated with dryness
Dermalogica & other respected beauty brands in Cheshire
You can buy all the skin care products listed above from both our Tarporley & Ellesmere Port salons. Get in touch to reserve yours.
Unlock beauty benefits
When you buy skin care products at Sensoria, you’ll receive points on your Treatcard – unlocking lots of wonderful benefits.
From prize draws to complimentary treatments, it’s our way of saying thank you for your loyalty.
Skin care specialists in Cheshire
We hope this blog post about taking care of your skin during a workout has been helpful and you can continue to enjoy exercise – while also taking care of your skin. However, if you do feel unsure don’t hesitate to get in touch.
At Sensoria, we take a holistic approach to your skin care. We offer our clients professional advice that isn’t just about skin care products and treatments – but we also help you live a life that is happy and healthy.
After all, results-driven skin care must be tailored to you and your lifestyle to work.
BABTAC & CIBTAC awards finalists
To read more about our skin care, beauty & health salon visit our blog post about our recent nomination as BABTAC & CIBTAC Beauty Salon of the Year Awards finalist 2019